There were 57 people in attendance at this month’s meeting. That number included nine guests.
Bob Eslinger gave a presentation, part one of a two-part series, on a software program called SketchUp. This 3D modeling computer program is for a wide range of drawing applications such as architectural, interior design, landscaping, and civil and mechanical engineering. (https://www.sketchup.com/) Bob showed us some of the software’s components and discussed its capabilities for woodworkers. It has a toolbar and dropdown menus. One of the templates in the program is called woodworking. Since it is a 3D program, you can draw something and then rotate the object to see it from all sides. He showed us how to begin drawing an end table beginning with the table legs. Next week, in Part 2, he will demonstrate more of the practical application points of the program.
Next month’s presentation will be SketchUp – Part 2 by Bob Eslinger.
Business Meeting and Announcements
The “Sign-up” sheets were discussed and passed around for –
- Spring Picnic & 2X4 Contest: April 9 (1 – 4 pm) at Rothenbach Park.
- Monthly Shop Meets and Demonstration Meets.
Joe Mannke brought up some ideas that were discussed by the club’s Board of Directors at their last meeting. A couple of the items have already been implemented and some are still open for discussion.
- Items that have already been implemented:
- a “new member” application is now available for download on our club’s website (http://floridawoodworkers.com/)
- (optional) placing club member’s photos with their names on the club’s membership list (only accessible by club members). This is optional and only with the club member’s permission.
- Items still being discussed:
- New member “Welcome” letter. A draft version has been created and will include the welcome letter and information about the club.
- Welcome committee to welcome new club members and learn more about them and their interests in woodworking – composed of three people. One person to welcome the people in the south end of our area, one person for the middle and one person for the north end of our area.
- Greeters to greet guests that visit our club meetings.
The Woodworking Tool Show (http://www.thewoodworkingshows.com/) is coming up at the Florida State Fairgrounds in Tampa on March 17 -19, 2017. Those working the show were given a work schedule and information page.
- Demonstration Meet (Monday, March 13) is at Larry Simmons’s shop – 1215 Manasota Beach Road, Englewood, FL at 7:00 pm. We’ll be making shaker oval boxes. Bring ear protection and a chair.
- Shop Meet (Monday, March 20) is at Bob Eslinger’s shop – 6921 Conestoga Place, Bradenton, FL at 7:00 pm. Bring a chair.
2 X 4 Items were brought in by members from past 2X4 contests to show examples of what you can make with a construction grade 2X4. We hope you’ve purchased your 2X4 and have an entry for this year’s contest. This is a FUN event for the whole family. Call or e-mail Rick Anderson for more information and to sign-up to attend (email@example.com).
Show and Tell:
Next Month’s Meeting – April 12, 2017 at 7:00 p.m. at Advantage Lumber.