There were 36 people present, 34 members and two first time guests (Jeff Futch and Gary Denton), at this month’s meeting.
“Jigs and Fixtures” – were presented by different club members. A “jig” is a type of tool used to control the location or motion of another tool. A fixture is a support or work holding device used to hold work in place. The following jigs/fixtures were presented:
- Rocking slab drill guide – John Slezak
- Wide finger & socket jig – Joe Mannke
- Pipe clamp prop, table saw Stops, skill saw cutting edge guide, credit card glue spreader, spline jig, mystery router table hold down – Terry Bair
- Drill press angle cradle – Andy DiLorenzo
- Table saw outfeed table with rollers – George Norton
- Flat glue up jig – Marty Cole
- Drill press vise clamp – Rick Anderson
- Kreg jig all-in-one storage/holding box, sharpening kit – Alan Brown
- Wood bending jig – Neil McCollough
- Lathe steady rest jig – John Philips
“Ask the President” – President Joe Mannke gave club members an opportunity to ask him questions about the club.
- This year’s summer attendance seems like it is more than last year. Is this true?
- Yes, our summer attendance is greater this year than last. Our attendance increases even more during the winter months.
- How many members are in the club?
- Our club is approaching 90 members. My goal is for the club to have 100 members by the end of this year.
Shop Meets & Demonstration Meets – People Needed: We are looking for people to sign up for Shop Meets and Demonstration Meets. Please contact Joe Mannke or Rick Anderson if you are interested.
Shop Meet (August 21): Tony D’Alberto’s house, at 7:00 p.m. His address is – 6820 Anchor Way (in Gulf Gate), in Sarasota. Bring a chair.
A reminder –
- Happy Hour – 6 to 7 p.m. is a time to socialize and purchase that special piece of wood from Advantage Lumber.
- Election of New Officers takes place in December. Two nominations have been received for the position of Vice-president – John Peasley and Jim Bassett. Still looking for nominations/volunteers for Club Secretary. Contact Joe Mannke, Club President, with your suggestions.
Next Month’s Presentation – Intarsia by Joe Mathis. This will be a two-part series for September and October – Part 1 What is intarsia and some tricks and tips; Part 2 Creating intarsia works of art. You won’t want to miss these fun and educational presentations!
- December 13, 2017: Holiday Dinner Party/ Auction/ Voting on new Club officers. (Make 2 wood items to bring – one as gift and one for auction)
- February 2018: FL State Fair (February 8-19, 2018) To enter an item in the “Woodworking” or “Fine Furniture” division of the Fair, Registration must be received by January 5, 2018.
- Other upcoming events – Wood Working Show (March), Sarasota County Fair (March), Spring Picnic & 2X4 Contest (April)
Show and Tell:
James Bassett – Maple bent wood table
John Philips – Grandfather clock and showed book on “Jigs & Fixtures”
Terry Bair – 2 short cypress tables, small tray from scrap wood, scroll sawn cardinal ornament and scroll sawn cardinal plaque
Quarterly Show and Tell Drawing: Joe Mathis